Saturday, May 17, 2008

Blooming colour

When you move into an established garden, part of the fun is not knowing what is really going to appear from season to season. I love the colour combination of the leaves and the red paeony 's palette in the garden plot. There also has been a guessing game with regards to the fruit trees but I can now begin to tell that this is a pear tree. Not many pears as we pruned the tree back severely but nevertheless nice to have a pear tree in the garden.
The business and house improvements are taking a lot of time and working in the garden has been a little sporadic. I have tomatoes and peppers growing in the garden room together with seedlings of salads and beans awaiting the completion of the raised beds. In between the flowers broad beans and mangetout peas are growing up nicely and the courgette and squash plants are reaching double leaf stage.

Our village holds a variety of plant sales for charity in which it is possible to obtain extra plants at reasonable costs. I did receive a present of marjoram, lovage, chives, rosemary and thyme which will add to the herb collection already in the garden. This will serve to season our foods.

The brill lawnmower is going well , without the use of fuel, sheer muscle power from little boys creates a near cricket pitch lawn standard on the small lawn that creates a green focus in the garden.

What I am really looking forward to are the soft fruits that are beginning to form on the blackcurrant, redcurrant, gooseberry bushes as well as the strawberry plants hidden around. The morello cherry looked pretty too and is now forming little fruits. I love the month of May, so full of promise and optimism. It May all be blossoming and a marvellous crop, it may not....we need to wait and see how the climate shapes up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

Nice photos.

I have been awarded the Excellent Blogger Award - and, in turn, am passing the baton on so to say to my 10 most Excellent Blogs.

So - do pop over for a "visit" and pick up your Excellent Blog logo.

Regards

ceridwen

Anonymous said...

Your garden is looking great to me Anne, I simply love that stone fence all the way around, new fences these days never looks as good!

Blessings:)

adrian2514 said...

Hey! The garden is looking great! I always enjoy seeing the new colors each season as well! I was browsing through a bunch of green websites and blogs and I came across yours and found it very interesting. There are a bunch of others I like too, like the daily green, ecorazzi and earthlab.com. I especially like EarthLab.com’s carbon calculator (http://www.earthlab.com/signupprofile/). I find it really easy to use (it doesn’t make me feel guilty after I take it). Are there any others you would recommend? Can you drop me a link to your favorites (let me know if they are the same as mine).