Monday, November 05, 2007

The daily soup

Chicken Noodle Soup by Catherine Jones
Chicken Noodle Soup


My grandmother used to make soup every day. It is still part of my family's main meal and I guess there were more reasons than merely ensuring that we had a certain amount of vegetables every day.

The WI is backing Wrap's campaign with a list of recipes and tips on how to create leftover dishes such as bubble and squeak, shepherd's pie, chutney and bread and butter pudding.( BBC article)


The lost art of leftovers reminded me of how I make soup whenever the want takes me and so I offer you my basic recipe for a nourishing soup.


Take 1 onion, spring onions, leeks ( whatever is in your fridge) and put it cut up with a dash of butter on a slow heat.
Add variety of seasonal vegetables ( today carrots and some leftover broccoli)
Add enough stock to cover .
Add a variety of beans or pulses ( today fresh borlotti beans, could be lentils- if using a type of pulses that need soaking, please soak first)
Simmer until ready ( I put it in the bottom oven of the Aga and forget about it till lunch).

If you like a thick soup ( liquidise some of the soup- 2 to 3 ladles) and return to pot.( Or add some cooked rice, potatoes)
Serve with a sprinkling of parsley and a slice of fresh bread, or toast or whatever is at hand.


On the question of stock, I make stock traditionally with the carcass of an organic roast chicken or use vegetable bouillon.

I never thought of soupmaking as an art but if it is, lets be trendy!

1 comment:

Mark said...

Hi Anne,
Just to let you know i have nominated you for the 3rd blog cup, I think i am in for a tight race this round.

Cheers Mark