Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Zucchini cookies

Zucchine by Claudia Ancilotti
Zucchine


Its still raining and the water content is making the courgettes or zucchini ( I prefer that name) to swell at abandon in the polytunnel.
One of the new commitments I made in this varied lifestyle is to engage in my relationships with friends and family and to share the abundance we enjoy here, in a variety of ways.( also per blog)
The day therefore started with picking some green beans for freezing. I do a walkabout every day to check what is getting ready for harvesting and dream of the many gardeners in the past, who worked big gardens next to country homes. They would have picked fresh produce in the morning and then brought it to the cook in the kitchen. The cook would then go to work and create some masterpieces to feed the family out of what had been provided. Only difference here is that we live in a small cottage, smaller kitchen garden and I fulfill both roles of gardener and cook, but that has its advantages.

I found a cucumber, some more green beans and some zucchini. I packed it all in a small basket and decided to add some zucchini cookies. ( please do not pass judgement yet on these....they are not too bad).

If you are at a loss what to do with the many courgettes your garden produces, or simply have no idea what to do with them, check out the varied selection of recipes on the net. You would be surprised.....my next recipe is definitely going to be the zucchini lasagne with walnuts.

The boys did not really see the green bits in it.....it would have been commented on.


Zucchini cookies


Its not precise so you will have to be creative and start judging as I do not weigh the courgettes....



1 cup. grated zucchini, undrained
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup. sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of flour...keep adding until it has drop consistency.
1 cup raisins
Mix above ingredients together in large bowl. Sift together the following dry ingredients and add to first mixture. 1 tsp. cinnamon 1/2 tsp. cloves 1/2 tsp. salt
Stir well and add flour and 1 cup raisins. Drop by teaspoon on baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Makes about 2 dozen.

I travelled to see my friend, visited the wholefood shop for some supplies so that I can make our own crunchy muesli, the recipe of which I shall share with you soon. It was such a pleasure to share some goodness from the garden and some items made by hand. Cost me very little as in the past I would have brought a bunch of flowers or some chocolates. We shared a salad and it felt good.

Back home I was greeted with an empty tin ( they did not spot the green bits after all) and a request for a chocolate cake for the school picnic tomorrow ( as apparently the teacher was told that my cakes are 'legend'). DH also informed me that he has nominated me to be the ' green' school governor....so yes I would say, my life is changing. It is taking shape in a completely different way than I had imagined, but in a good way.

No comments: