Friday, September 01, 2006

AUGUST HARVEST TALLY

The garden has yielded the following over the month of August :
  • 7lbs Courgettes
  • 21 lbs Apples
  • 6lbs Plums
  • 35lbs tomatoes
  • 5 cucumbers
  • 6 lbs french beans
  • 6 onions
  • 6 lbs runner beans
  • 2 peppers
  • 9 lbs blackberries
  • 52 lbs potatoes


That is a staggering total over 140lbs of fruit and vegetables. The amount of tomatoes is overwhelming from 8 plants though so may want to reduce the amount of plants next year.
I am still only growing for our own consumption and canning for winter use. The french beans I love have not been that successful seeing that I did 4 rows of sowings at various times, march, april and july. Its a learning curve. I used no fertilisers at all on the soil apart from compost.
I am planning on planting green manure in the beds to increase nutrients in the soil as I am not very good at growing cabbages. I can grow the seedlings, but overall the cabbage butterflies and their larvae eat more of the greens than I do.
What is nearly ready is some borlotti beans, they look great but I am as yet unsure what to do with them.

No comments: