Thursday, March 09, 2006

LOST SKILLS

I have had a sewing machine for the past 25 years and it is in very good condition. Actually it is only in such good condition because it has not been used for a very long time...and yet....I could sew things in the past. When my Dd was little, I used to make her clothes. I was very hard up on the money side and fabric seemed expensive and I could get by by buying adult dresses and men's shirts ( in the charity shop) to make them into pretty pinafore dresses and blouses. Thus I spent my time, happily at home, sewing,homemaking and being a Mum. Today we went to lunch together ( she is now a woman) and we ended up in the fabric store and I guess we will be doing some sewing, together or individually. I know there does probably not seem to be a need to make your own clothes but if you have that skill, the sky is the limit. You can actually make them to fit, you can use the scraps of material to make a quilt...the possibilities are endless.
So try and have a look and see what skills you were taught as a child and what you are doing with them. Do you use them or have you lost patience and the art of doing things for yourself, very simply.

Thanks for your lovely comments so far, I do enjoy reading them and finding out about all of you who are on a similar path, it makes sharing or resources fun, even if you live on the other side of the world.

No comments: