Friday, February 03, 2006

MARMALADE AND TOAST

I am making progress, how can I measure that you say? The bread I made yesterday simply has disappeared, in sandwiches for lunchboxes, eaten with soup and discussed with our neighbour when she came for a cup of coffee and a chat. My DH told her about the bread and described the texture as 'soapy'. A discussion followed whereby the ' bread appreciation society' passed a critical verdict on the item in front of them. The texture was ' cake like' more than ' bread like', there was less salt in it than shop bread and ......this went on for a few minutes while my DH excelled about my flapjacks ( and offered one to the neighour), talked about my knitted socks ( and the sweater I just finished) saying ' go on, put it on and show it off!) I did feel a lot of satisfaction in that moment. Later I found him snacking on the last of the shop bought marmalade with the last piece of bread, toasted on the Aga. He had a lovely smile on his face saying' when this is finished I am going to start on your marmalade'
I guess a lot happened after making that no fail bread, and indeed, it made me feel like a succesful and contented homekeeper. Simple things really, must make that bread again.

2 comments:

Rachael Byrnes said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm loving your blog too! Will visit again soon and write more then! Best Wishes Rachael.
PS: I'v also put a link from my site to your site.

Rachael Byrnes said...

Hi, I just tried to post a comment but it didn't work! Will try again later. Maybe blogger is down. Your site is great I will be visiting again. I Have put a link to your site on mine also.